Kenneth S. McLaughlin Jr.
Attorney at Law
Fax: (630) 230-8435
Mr. McLaughlin heads the firm’s business practice. For over 20 years, he has represented businesses ranging from startups to national companies in the areas of corporate formation, business succession, mergers and acquisitions, contracts, trademark, and asset protection. He has extensive commercial litigation experience and regularly represents businesses in shareholders’ and partners’ disputes, breach of contract claims, employee disputes, trade secrets and noncompete violations, copyright and trademark violations, GAO bid disputes, and commercial real estate disputes. He is a member of the Federal Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois, is authorized to appear before the Court of Federal Claims, and has successfully handled multimillion dollar cases before a wide range of federal, state, and local agencies and courts. Mr. McLaughlin utilizes his trial experience in conjunction with his corporate and estate planning experience to develop asset protection programs for business owners, recognizing the special challenges facing professionals such as physicians. He also represents fiduciaries in probate and trust disputes.
Publications & Presentations
Mr. McLaughlin regularly speaks before business and professional audiences. His presentations have included:
- “Asset Protection”, Fox Valley Executive Business Professionals, Aurora, IL, 2013
- “From Hiring to Firing: Best Practices”, Aurora, IL, 2013
- “Legal Pitfalls for the Unaware in Digital Marketing”, Aurora, IL, 2013
- “Prosecuting and Defending Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings before the TTAB”, DuPage County Bar Association, IP Committee, 2011.
- “Rule 224 Petitions to Obtain the Identity of Anonymous Internet Posters”, DuPage County Bar Association, IP Committee, 2011.
- “Asset Protection for Physicians”, Advocate Charitable Foundation, Park Ridge, IL, 2007.
- “Asset Protection for Physicians”, Thorek Hospital, Chicago, IL, 2005
- “Asset Protection for Physicians”, Rush Copley Hospital, Aurora, IL, 2004 – 2005.
- “Asset Protection for Physicians”, Advocate Charitable Foundation, Park Ridge, IL, 2004.
- “Asset Protection for Physicians”, Advocate Health Care, Chicago , IL , 2003 – 2004.
- “Asset Protection for Physicians”, Sherman Hospital , Elgin , IL , 2003.
- “Business Succession Planning”, Lisle, IL, 2003.
- “Asset Protection for Business Owners”, Naperville Chamber of Commerce, Naperville , IL , 2002.
- “Asset Protection for Business Owners”, Oswego Chamber of Commerce, Oswego , IL , 2002.
- “Small Business Owners’ Liability,” Oswego Chamber of Commerce, Oswego , IL , 1998.
- “Product Liability Law in Illinois ,” American States Insurance Co., Lombard , IL , 1997.
- “Illinois Workers’ Compensation Law,” IRISC (REM International), Lehigh Valley , PA , 1996.
- Illinois, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1995
- Federal Trial Bar, Northern District of Illinois, 1995
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Court, 2013
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois J.D. – 1995 Associate Leads Editor, 1994-1995, John Marshall Law Review
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois B.A. – 1990 Political Science
- Challenging the Constitutionality of President Clinton’s Compromise, A Practical Alternative to the Military’s Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Policy, 28 J. Marshall L. Rev. 179, 1994
Published Appellate Decisions
- Draper v Board of Education (1st Dist. 2012) (clarifies Illinois law with respect to employment policy manuals and establishment of contract rights)
- In re Estate of Margery Elias v. McDonnell (1st Dist. 2011) (recovery citation by executor to recover $471,000 and personal property taken by agent under power of attorney, award of attorney fees)
- MCS Midwest, LLC v McGee (N.D.Ill. 2011) (finding in favor of our client where former employer sought to enforce non-compete against new business)
- Karas v. Strevell (Ill. S. Ct. 2008) (established legal standard in Illinois for contact sports)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Oswego Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2004 – 2010
- Member, Aurora, Naperville, and Oswego Chambers of Commerce
- Msgr. Edward S Wright Council #15119, N. Aurora, IL: Chancellor 2009-11, Deputy Grand Knight 2011-13, Grand Knight 2013-15
- Tax Preparation (Estate)